You guys. This cinnamon apple french toast is seriously THE BEST. I made it for our family Thanksgiving this year and everyone kept saying it was the best french toast they have ever had! Needless to say, it’s definitely going to make another appearance for Christmas morning.
It’s the perfect make-ahead dish (meaning make it the night before and then bake in the morning) – which is perfect for brunch! I served it with fruit, scrambled cheesy eggs and of course, coffee. I’ve also included a recipe below for homemade whipped cream – because the whipped cream and syrup accompaniments are very (VERY) necessary.
CINNAMON APPLE FRENCH TOAST INGREDIENTS:
- 1 lb loaf sourdough, cut into chunks
- 3 cups peeled and chopped apples (~2 large apples)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
STREUSEL TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup salted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- Combine the bread chunks and chopped apples and lay evenly at the bottom of the dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients (minus the streusel and whip cream), and pour evenly over bread. Cover the casserole and store in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the casserole for about 35-40 minutes.
- While casserole bakes, in another bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the streusel. Add the butter and mash into the dry mixture until it forms a crumbly mixture.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and crumble the streusel over the top of the casserole.
- Continue baking casserole for about 5 minutes, or until the streusel is melted over the top.
- While that is baking, add all the ingredients for the whipped cream into a medium sized mixing bowl. Beat on high until fluffy, stiff peaks are formed. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve the casserole warm with syrup and a side of whipped cream.