I have made this trifle two times in the past week and it has been a hit for kids and adults. I’m shocked how many people have never had one before! It is SO EASY, and a perfect summer dessert, light and fresh. This was a staple in my house growing up (my mom is the queen of all cooks, seriously) so I’m excited to share it with you all since so many people have asked for it!
There are tons of recipes out there for different types of trifle, this is just what I usually whip up and have had very satisfied consumers thus far 🙂 Hope you, your friends and family enjoy, too! Bonus – it’s the perfect treat to bring to a 4th of July celebration because it’s festive and delicious!
- 1 pre-made angel food cake
- 1 oz. package instant vanilla pudding (yes, the brand JELL-O, hello 1990’s!)
- 2 cups milk (I use skim)
- 2 cups strawberries chopped (I buy a typical package and use them all)
- 2 cups blueberries (same as the strawberries – I buy a typical package size and use them all)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream (I usually have a little left over that I keep in the fridge for a treat for Hadley with some fruit later in the week)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dice the angel food cake in 1-2 inch squares, set aside.
- Add all the ingredients for the whipped cream into a medium sized mixing bowl. Beat on high until fluffy, stiff peaks are formed. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Add vanilla pudding mix and milk into another mixing bowl and mix as directed.
- Place 1/3 of angel food cake in the bottom of a trifle dish (should cover the base), layer on pudding, then whipping cream, then a mixture of berries. Repeat one or two more times – ending with berries as your topping.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.